Can I travel to Fiji for purposes other than a holiday?

Persons travelling to Fiji for purposes other than a holiday will only be given 14 days visa. They will need to visit the Fiji Immigration Department within 14 days after their arrival in Fiji and apply for a relevant permit. A permit must be obtained prior to the activity being undertaken (eg work in any form, internship, study, research, investment, residence, yachting/crewing).

Note: Persons other than those from visa-exempt countries must first apply for a visitor’s visa before travelling to Fiji and are required to then apply for the relevant permit within 14 days after arrival in Fiji.

Permits are NOT processed by the Fiji High Commission (Canberra) or Fiji Consulate General (Sydney).

I intend to apply for an emergency passport. What are the requirements and fees?

An emergency passport (Certificate of Identity) has a fee of $187.

Along with the fee, an applicant will need a letter stating the reasons for emergency travel, an expired or damaged passport, documentary evidence for the reason to travel (e.g. doctor’s certificate for sick relative), and a copy of any Australian Government-issued photo ID that has been certified by an Australian Justice of Peace.

If passport is lost or stolen, a police advice slip or report that proves that the loss of passport has been reported.

I do not have the six months validity on my passport between my intended date of travel and the expiry of my passport, and I intend to travel to Fiji soon. Can I still travel to Fiji?

If you are travelling on a Fijian passport to Fiji, this requirement of having a six months validity on your passport does not apply for you.

Please be advised that non-Fijian passport holders intending to travel to Fiji are required to have their passports valid for 6 months from their intended date of arrival into Fiji. If the validity of your passport is less than 6 months you will not be permitted to travel to Fiji.

In exceptional and extenuating circumstances, persons who can demonstrate that it is not possible to have their passports renewed prior to their intended date of travel may submit an application for a 6-months passport validity waiver to enter Fiji. The application and fees should be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to departure. Please note that waiver approvals are not guaranteed and are granted on a case-by-case basis, in exceptional circumstances only. The Waiver fee is non-refundable. The relevant documents can be posted or lodged personally in our office. Any other location in Australia will need their application to the Fiji High Commission in Canberra.

I’ve lost my passport, I am travelling in one month, can you help me get a new one? What is the process? How much does it cost? 

If you are in New South Wales, we can help you get a new passport. If you are in any other location, you will need to contact the Fiji High Commission.

All documents included in this Passport Renewal Checklist can be sent to our office if you are in NSW and this can be done in person or posted in and fees can be paid via a bank cheque or money order.

Click here for more information on Fiji Passports.

subscribe now

Keep updated on all the Fiji Consulate's actions and events