AUSTRALIA – FIJI : TRADE PROFILE
Australia is one of Fiji’s largest trading partners with two-way trade steadily increasing year-on-year, totalling $2.24 billion (2018-19)
- Australia is Fiji’s second largest export destination (12.9%)
- Major Fijian exports to Australia include gold (A$70m) and textile clothing (A$27m)
- Merchandise exports from Fiji to Australia totalled A$175m (2018-19)
Please see below list of commodities that can be exported to Australia and links to the relevant Biosecurity Import Condition (BICON).
|Kava||Kava for human consumption|
Woven mats and bark cloth
No Import Permit is required to import these goods, but each consignment must not contain any live insects, soil, seeds or any other quarantine risk material. Containers and packing materials accompanying the consignment will be inspected and treated on arrival in Australia, unless they have previously been treated using an AQIS approved method.
Consignments may be released if:
- They have been certified or given an International Phytosanitary certificate by a NPPO authority stating that either “This article has been inspected and found free of live insects and other quarantine risk material” OR “This article has been treated with insecticide according to the product instruction and sealed for export” OR
- They come with a treatment certificate issued by a government authority verifying that any of the following treatments has been carried out before export:
- Methyl bromide fumigation at 32g/m³ for 24 hours at 21°C and above at Normal Atmospheric Pressure (NAP).
- Cold storage at –18°C for 7 consecutive days.
- Gamma irradiation treatment at 25kGray.
If they do not meet either of the above requirements, the goods will be inspected to ensure that they do not contain any quarantine risk material – if they do not, they will be released.
If live insects are found, the goods will be treated.
If other contaminants are found, they will either be removed, treated or destroyed at the importer’s expense.
For further information, please refer to the Fiji Exporter Guide.
Other Regulations in Australia
No general license is required to import into Australia, but customs must clear your goods upon import. Permits depend on the type of goods, some of which are subject to safety and information standards.
- For information regarding tariff classification, please refer to the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs Current Tariff Classification.
- Some categories of good are banned or restricted. To see if your intended import falls under these categories, please refer to the Australian Government’s list of banned and restricted imports to Australia.
- If you intend to import products such as cosmetics, solvents, adhesives, plastics, inks, printing and photocopying chemicals, paints, household cleaning products and toiletries, you must register with the National Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme and pay the associated registration fees.
- If your business imports pre-packaged goods, or sells goods by measurement, the goods must comply with the National Measurement Act 1960 and the National Trade Measurement Regulations 2009. Failure to do so can incur heavy penalties. For further information, please refer to the Australian Government’s trade measurement laws.
- You can use the Nutrition Panel Calculator (NPC) from Food Standards ANZ to generate a Nutrition Panel for your products.
The information on this page is intended for general information only and does not constitute legal advice, taxation advice or any other professional advice. It should not be relied upon as such, and we recommend that interested parties obtain adequate professional advice before making financial or legal decisions. The information is general and may omit details relevant to individual circumstances. We are not liable for any loss arising from reliance on this information. The information is provided in good faith and derived from sources believed to be accurate and current at the time of publication.
- [email protected]
- (02) 99000700
- (02) 9098 9360
- Suite 1, Level 8, 227 Elizabeth St,
Sydney 2000, NSW, Australia
Open till 4.30pm( View All Timings )
Mon - Thu 9 AM to 5 PM Fri 9 AM to 4.30 PM Closed Saturday & Sunday and all Fiji & Australian Public Holidays